Tuesday, December 20, 2011

musings on "Eat, Pray, Love"

After so many people raving about this book and specifically thinking it would appeal to me (as a wanderer, I have to assume) I finally read it. It was a quick, easy read and was certainly amusing at some points. I believe this book embodies why so many women in this country spend countless hours of their lives in yoga studios. We as the maternal keepers of our culture are trying to find any kind of spiritual lifeline to hold onto amidst a sea of doubts, emotional repression, and various naysayers. Here Elizabeth actually dared, as a result of her life being in seemingly utter shambles, to bring her yoga-life outside of the safe walls of a Manhattan studio. She does a lot of interesting things but it's just very hard for me to view them at all as 'adventurous' or daring seeing as she never has to worry about financial or emotional bankruptcy. It really wasn't until Bali that I could relate, or really empathize, with her at all. Go figure, it wasn't until she took an unplanned leap based off no solid or reliable evidence that the best opportunities presented themselves to her. That is something I had the pleasure of learning years back when I started my wandering. And she didn't find love, it found her when she engrossed herself in a selflessly loving act  (i.e. getting her friend a house).
So while I don't think I'll be reading any more by this author, I guess its nice to know that people seem to value the idea of self-exploration in the form of 'exotic' travel even if most of them can't or won't actually find the time for themselves. Ever wonder what would happen if you took the $14 you could spend on a book like this and bought a stranger lunch to hear their life story?

No comments:

Post a Comment