Monday, July 21, 2014

The Life of Inbetween

It’s just about belonging
But I merely haunt the space between
Never quite standing out
Never quite assimilating
Always happy to lend a hand
But don’t try to hold it
Or I’ll freak out and run

Where do I
Lay the first brick
A foundation for the rest
On a terra inconstans

I’ve never paid allegiance to a state, sport or locale
Not even an ‘ism’  
It is instead to the power of liminality that I serve
And the communitas that it gives
To which I’ve given my time
And in that space
Of that power, I’ve been handsomely rewarded
Now…

It feels as if
Life demands my full rejection
Of that truth and comfort
Tune out and buy in
Time is money
And you sold yours
Interest is intent
And now that’s marked
Bought and sold
To the next top dog
So stop all those silly pretty thoughts
And pull up your big drone pants
Nose to the grindstone
Make those bones
Before yours are done and buried

If we are all just start dust
What are the stars worth?
Would they sell out if they could?
Do they dream of being planets, moons,
Or asteroids hurdling through space and time
On a mission to see as much
As they can
Before they end
In a blaze of beautiful demolition
Demise of now-matter
To be reworked into the next
And left with unquenched yearnings
Of other states and structures

If we are all
Part of everything
Yet we are just a moment
Of recycled parts
Maybe the cosmos
Do dream and joke
And we are all just

A punch line in time

No comments:

Post a Comment